Background Image for Hero:
CompTia Prep ClassesApply
Benefits of taking prep courses for in-demand
- Builds a strong knowledge foundation and skills base.
- Globally recognized.
- Validates expertise and skills level.
- Certifications are mandatory for certain IT positions.
- Improves test scores.
- Accelerated timeline or work at your own pace.
- Taught by qualified faculty who are A+, Network+ and Security+ certified.
- Can count toward an AAS degree in computer information systems at WVU PSC.
Prep courses being offered in Fall 2019 for in-demand
CIS 236. Introduction to Cyber Security - Early Fall 2019
Introduction to Cyber Security will be offered for eight weeks in early fall 2019 and prepares students to take the Security+ exam by giving students an introduction to computer and network security procedures. A hands-on approach is used to cover securing network services, devices, traffic, and responding to network breaches
- No other certification that assesses baseline cybersecurity skills has performance-based questions on the exam. Security+ emphasizes hands-on practical skills, ensuring the security professional is better prepared to problem solve a wider variety of issues.
- More choose Security+ for DoD 8570 compliance than any other certification.
- Security+ focuses on the latest trends and techniques in risk management, risk mitigation, threat management, and intrusion detection.
- The new Security+ certification covers the Junior IT Auditor/Penetration Tester job role, in addition to the previous job roles for Systems Administrator, Network Administrator, and Security Administrator.
CIS 106. PC Hardware Concepts - Later Fall 2019
PC Hardware Concepts will be offered for eight weeks in late fall 2019 and prepares students to take the A+ exam by providing hands-on experience, A+ core competencies and the skills necessary to install, service, and support microcomputers.
CompTia A+ is the preferred qualifying credential for technical support and IT operational roles. It is about much more than PC repair;
- Candidates are better prepared to troubleshoot and problem solve.
- Technicians understand a wide variety of issues ranging from networking and operating systems to mobile devices and security.
- A+ supports the ability to connect users to the data they need to do their jobs regardless of the devices being used.
CIS 241. Networking Fundamentals - Spring 2020
Networking Fundamentals, which is part of the Cisco Academy, will be offered for eight weeks in spring 2020 and will prepare students to take the Network+ exam. This course includes topics such as OSI model, network topologies, IP addressing, networking components, and basic network designs (lab fee required).
- Design and implement functional networks.
- Configure, manage, and maintain essential network devices.
- Use devices such as switches and routers to segment network traffic and create resilient networks.
- Identify benefits and drawbacks of existing network configurations.
- Implement network security, standards, and protocols.
- Troubleshoot network problems.
- Support the creation of virtualized networks.
|Per Credit Hour Up to 12 Hours||Per Semester|
|University Tuition||University Fees||Program Tuition||Total||University Tuition||University Fees||Program Tuition||Total|
|Associate Degree - Applied Sciences Division|
|Resident||$ 169||$ 20||$ 9||$ 198||$ 2,028||$ 240||$ 108||$ 2,376|
|Non-Resident||$ 461||$ 20||$ 9||$ 490||$ 5,532||$ 240||$ 108||$ 5,880|
|Metro2||$ 284||$ 20||$ 9||$ 313||$ 3,408||$ 240||$ 108||$ 3,756|
|Bachelor's Degree 1 - Applied Sciences Division|
|Resident||$ 212||$ 20||$ 9||$ 241||$ 2,544||$ 240||$ 108||$ 2,892|
|Non-Resident||$ 518||$ 20||$ 9||$ 547||$ 6,216||$ 240||$ 108||$ 6,564|
|Metro2||$ 337||$ 20||$ 9||$ 366||$ 4,044||$ 240||$ 108||$ 4,392|
|1 The bachelor rate is assessed to students after completing an AAS degree and enrolling in one of Potomac State's Bachelors of Applied Sciences programs including the RBA (Regents Bachelor of Arts) Program.|
|2 Metro fees available to residents of Maryland: Allegany and Garrett Counties, Pennsylvania: Bedford, Fayette and Somerset Counties, Virginia: Frederick County and City of Winchester|